Wednesday 16 October 2013

Noel Gallagher criticises BBC Radio 1 for ignoring Temples and Jagwar Ma Read.... hmmm



Todays post is focused about this NME article that has just popped up on my Facebook http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/73245 and got me thinking about wether or not I agree with Mr Gallagher's statement...

Firstly, Radio 1 is not my cup of tea. I can deal with Phil and Alice when they have a good band (and can pride myself in the time Palma Violets said Hello to me on radio 1) and I enjoy Zane Lowe from time to time. However, as a radio station it tends to make my skin crawl, Nick Grimshaw in particular making me want to claw my ears out.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a hipster elitist here, but I disagree with Noel, in that I like the exclusivity of bands such as Temples and Jagwar Ma. I enjoy the idea that fans of these bands are people immersed in the music scene, who go out of their way to seek out new, innovative bands to listen to. I for one heard a random souncloud demo when first getting into Temples, and heard about Jagwar from twitter friends. I hate the idea that this music is being put in a place (radio 1) where people just listen to it to fill a silence, for example when they're in a traffic jam or stuck at work. I even more detest the idea of masterpieces such as Come Save Me are being played back to back with the noise that comes out of Niki Minaj and the like.

I understand on the flip side that these bands need to grow, they need to develop more listeners and get themselves out there. They need to make a name for themselves and Radio 1 helps them do that. However, I fully believe they have the talent to be able to do that without help from Radio 1! Watching Temples play a packed out venue on Monday leads me to believe that they are growing but with the right people! I do think there is room for elitism in music, it's what stops Rhianna fans turning up at cool gigs in their snapbacks and chinos.

Please comment if you agree/disagree with me or good old' Gallagher.

No comments:

Post a Comment