Monday 21 October 2013

Maisy Meets Pete Doherty

I'm afraid I have struggled to think of anything to blog about. So, after being prompted by someone who saw this youtube video, 02 Babyshambles  , in which I was interviewed, I thought I'd write about meeting Pete Doherty.

Me and my friend Molly, both being huge fans of The Libertines, decided to meet up in Leeds on the day Pete played with his band Babyshambles. Despite not having tickets to the gig, we went anyway. The initial plan was to get there at 12, and hopefully catch Pete as he darted between tour bus and venue, then get home in plenty of time and not be too soaked from the rain. However, we soon learnt that a) no 02 Academy workers are allowed to tell you whereabouts the band are and b) Pete does nothing but sleep in the tour bus. We arrived at the venue and placed ourselves next to a huge, white tour bus with 'pete <3' scratched onto the side. We sat in a door way, waiting for Mr Doherty himself to leave the bus however it took us seven hours before we convinced his tour manager to pull him off the bus for us. Even after resolving to not stay longer than three hours, we felt like any minute he could come out and we would have wasted our opportunity. In this seven hours we pretty much just sat there singing Can't Stand Me Know and discussing the finer points of Carl Barat and Pete Doherty's relationship.

When we did eventually meet him, he was a lovely guy. My initial reaction was the weight he has put on recently, but when he chatted to us and hugged us and gave us his hat he was wearing we were pretty glad we waited.  Yes, it's pretty mental to wait in the rain for seven hours - but being a stalkerish music fan does that to you. And I have to admit it's pretty impressive when you tell a music fan that you've met Pete Doherty.

*Sorry for the boring blog post, I'm seeing Arctic Monkeys on Wednesday so hopefully that will give me something more interesting to write about!*



No comments:

Post a Comment