Friday 11 October 2013

First Blog / Maisy Meets.... Spector

I've been intending to start a blog for ages, and since I have started my Journalism course at Leeds City College I've realised how it's important for me to start a blog in order to practice writing. I don't have a particularly interesting life or anything to write about, but I have my passion for meeting and watching bands which gives me plenty to write about.

Yesterday I went to see Spector at the Duchess in York along with my friends Sophie and Charlotte. We got there at about 4:45pm and sat outside the venue, in order to try and meet the band. At about 5:30pm Spector arrived at the venue after a day at York Dungeons and we said Hi to Tom and got a picture with Fred. Fred is my absolute favourite human, I'm obsessed. He said Happy Birthday to Sophie which really made her day.

The venue was really good, barrier which is never great, but small, low down stage. Large room that pretty much filled up. First support act were mediocre, each song sounded quite honestly the same. Second support was the band Jaws who I have seen three times. I like Jaws, but I've always been disappointed by their live stuff, they lack stage presence and charisma. That said their music is always great to hear live.

Spector came on and, if you've ever been to a Spector gig before you can quite easily understand how amazing it is. Fred Macpherson is the ultimate front man. He jumps about the stage with energy and exciting athleticism and does intense staring at you when he sings his songs, which is, quite honestly amazing. He knows how to interact with his crowd, chatting to them and joking with them between songs. Their new songs they played were brilliant. If the night lacked anything it was the absent Chris Burman, but I guess we have to get over that departure.

I now must apologise to anyone reading this who knows me as I have talked about nothing else, but part way through the gig I reached over and handed Fred my badge with his face on that I bought from Etsy.com. He then took about five minuets to talk about the badge, saying how much it meant to him, and how I was to pass this down through my family. Finally before handing it back he turned to me and  said "I love you" and I died a little bit inside. I am the most embarrassing Fred Macpherson fangirl. It honestly was the best gig I've been to in a while, and I can't wait for their new album to come out and to see them for the 5th time!

I guess next time I write a blog I'll write about something more serious, or even interesting. But this will do for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment