Tuesday 3 December 2013

Why The Cribs could be one of the best bands ever.



If I'm being truly honest, this post comes out of watching about 20 Cribs videos on youtube and getting a bit excited, but let's just go with it.

I think The Cribs are absolutely amazing. The three brothers started about ten years ago in Wakefield, making their main gig city Leeds which is oh so conveniently where I live (kind of). They have five albums and a 'best of' album out. Each album is absolutely full of amazing songs, and not one album they have produced has been considered a bad album. I think one thing that really sums up how amazing they are is that the one album that they did with legendary guitarist Johnny Marr (Ignore the Ignorant) has been considered their worst album they've made! Now I believe that that is saying something!

Another thing, I love the bands loyal to their favourite venues. Brudnell Social Club in Leeds is probably the smallest Leeds venue, but it is at the same time probably the best. The Cribs played a bunch of gigs there, including a christmas show in 2008. I would like to point out that this is after releasing two albums, whereas most bands who play there are still on their EP's and debuts. They knew they could have sold out a bigger venue, but they stuck to their favourite place! And from what Ive seen it was a pretty decent gig (I didn't go because I was 11, bad excuse I know).

NEXT THING. Their gigs are done on their own terms. No encores (I actually hate encores at gigs - waste of time) They hardly talk to the audience and they just power through each song to fit as many songs in as possible. ALSO, their front man (obviously Ryan) isn't their lead singer (Gary) which is pretty damn cool. And those haircuts are ridiculous to the point of being awesome.

I think I'm done with my positivity-rant on how much I love the cribs. Also bummed that I'm missing them in Leeds this month, in fact that is a very raw patch on my life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment